A witchy mixtape to sell your soul to the devil to
Friday, 13 January 2023
As we write this, the streets of Montalegre, in northern Portugal, are starting to fill up with a curious crowd. The central square of the remote medieval town of less than 2,000 comes alive with simmering cauldrons, wenches with snakes coiled around their necks, folks of all ages wearing black hats and cowls, in a joyous hymn to witchcraft. Today is Friday the 13th — and Friday the 13th in Montalegre is synonymous with Witches’ Night.
Witches get a bad rap, but if you’ve ever danced naked in the pale moonlight, you know they can throw a mean party. Maybe it’s the selling-your-soul-to-the-devil bit that is making you squeamish, but what have you been doing with your soul anyway?
Music to Live Deliciously track listing
- Speak To Me — Pink Floyd
- Rev 22:20 — Puscifer
- Sixteen — The Heavy
- Devil Mood — Smoke City
- I Put A Spell On You — The Kills
- Bad Spell — Larkin Poe
- The Witch — The Cult
- She’s My Witch — Kip Tyler
- Satan Is Her Name — P. Paul Fenech
- What Happens When You Turn the Devil Down — The Mystery Lights
- Satan Said Dance — Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- We Are Dancing — The Antler King
- I’ll See You All in Hell or New Orleans — Dax Riggs
- Come To The Sabbat — Black Widow
- Total Depravity — The Veils
- A Daisy Chain 4 Satan — My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
- Double Lucifer — TVAM
- Idle Hands — The Gutter Twins
- Devil’s Resting Place — Laura Marling
- Sell Your Soul — Tatum Quinn
- All We Ever Wanted Was Everything — Bauhaus
- Butter — Toso & Carvelli
- Devil Do — Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs
- Lucifer, My Love — Twin Temple
- Lucifer’s the Light of the World — King Dude
- Lose Your Soul — Dead Man’s Bones
- Your Body, My Temple — Will Wood
- Devil Behind That Bush — The Cramps
- Devils Hearts Grow Gold — La Sera
- Devil’s Fairground — The Tiger Lillies
- Witch — The Bird and the Bee
- Shadow — Chromatics
- Me and the Devil — Cowboy Junkies
Want more playlists about things that go bump in the night from the musicto global creator community? Check out 15 Great Songs for your Vampire Ball!
About the Curators
Born in Porto, Portugal, I'm an architect, a designer, a writer, a poet, a translator, etc. I have an eclectic taste in music—but less in that non-committal way people sometimes say "I have an eclectic taste in music" and more in that I'm really into some really weird stuff.
I’ve set-off around the world a few times as a digital nomad. My favorite places are off-the-beaten-path spaces. I enjoy good food, although I’m a sucker for trying anything once. Discovering new music and artists is a passion, but I adore retro tracks and nostalgic songs. Whether fueled by imagination, or anchored in the real world, I live for adventure, especially when set to the beat of diverse and eclectic playlists.
Ready. Set. Join me on a sonic adventure!